Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Little Warrior Project


Would you like an update on Little Warrior? It's good news.

She has been responding very well to the chemotherapy. She had tests about a week ago which showed that her heart is handling the heart-damaging drug just fine, and there are no visible tumors inside her. So as far as we know, she is cancer-free!

She has two more chemo hospitalizations to go. If all goes according to plan, her last day of treatment should be Halloween.

So, if you've done a good deed and haven't written to us about it, now would be a great time! Or if you've had an idea and haven't done it yet, this is the month!

I've received several notes from folks wanting to send something to Little Warrior. In keeping with the spirit of Love Through Action, I've coordinated with the Senior Parent Consultant for Candlelighters at our hospital. Any gift sent to the below address will be distributed to a child at the Texas Children's Cancer Clinic. I can tell you from personal experience, that she has a good eye for seeing which kid really needs a little lift on any particular day.

If you have a deed in mind, we'd prefer you do that, but if you really want to send something to a child with cancer, send it to the consultant at:

The Little Warrior Project
3526 S. Meadows
Alvin, TX 77511

What will we do with this website after Little Warrior completes treatment? I'm not sure. Still thinking ...

Thank you again, for your good deeds, your prayers, and your love. They have sustained us as a family, and have given Little Warrior a clear vision of what is good in this world. And for me personally, her mama, your good deeds always seem to come when I really need to see something beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little Warrior, in honor of your journey and to celebrate your spirit, I am growing out my hair so that I can donate it to Locks of Love. It sounds like you are going to be done with your treatments pretty soon. My hair doesn't grow that fast! I found your website in June and I've been growing my hair ever since. I still have about 2 inches to go. So, if I haven't gotten it done by the time you finish treatment, I want you to know that I will. I told my hairdresser back in June about my plan and I told her all about you!

Nancy said...

I am so happy to hear about your daughter! I know you are on a long, difficult road.

As my boy would say, "Hallelujah!"

Anonymous said...

My father was diagnosed with stage three colorectal cancer in August of this year. He is young (56) and has always adhered to a organic, fruit/vegetable/white meat and fish diet, and never smoked so imagine our surprise when this horrible diagnosis came down the pike. He works with his hands as a furniture maker, and was determined to continue to work as much as possible through his five weeks of chemo and radiation therapy, but by the last week or so, he was too weak to do much more than go from the bed to the bathroom. And yet, every day, he managed to drive himself the fifteen miles to the hospital for his treatments. By the last day he was so fatigued and sick he could barely lift himself onto the table for the treatment. The nurses had to help lift his legs, one by one, onto the table so they could zap him again.

He will have rectal surgery in two weeks to remove his rectum and receive a colostomy bag, and will then start chemo again a few weeks later.

At his last check-up the doctor asked how he was doing and he said "It's been rough," which was shocking since Dad rarely admits to things being difficult. And then he gave the doctor his business card and home phone number "If you have any patients that are too tired, too sick, or too weak to get here on their own, and don't have anyone else, you call me. I'll go anywhere and get them and bring them here."

The doctor, a forty-something year old man, teared up. No one coming out of the hellacious-ness of chemo and radiation had offered such a thing before.

I guess if you've been there, you know just how hard it is, and just how important it is to have someone, anyone there to help.